1. I live in San Francisco. How do I get my free vitamins?
You must either be a regular client of one of the SFDPH clinics that is participating in the distribution program or you can come by our office. Click here to learn more about how to get free Go Folic! Multis.
The Go Folic! Women’s Nutrition Project only serves women who live in San Francisco. However, a number of health departments and women’s clinics in California have similar programs. Please call your local health department or women’s clinic to find out.
It is hard for your body to get all of the folic acid it needs from food. If you don’t like to take pills, the easiest way to “Go Folic!” is to eat a bowl of fortified cereal every morning. Visit our Folate Your Diet page for more information.
In addition to fortified cereals, these foods are high in folate:
- Fortified or enriched bread and pasta (the ingredients label will include “enriched” or “fortified” flour)
- Spinach, broccoli, bok choy, collard and mustard greens
- Lentils, chickpeas, pinto beans, black beans and red kidney beans
- Peanuts and sunflower seeds
- Orange juice, raspberries and strawberries
Click here for a more complete list from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Here are the tricks for getting the most from your vitamins:
- Take it everyday
- Take it with food to prevent nausea
- Take it at the end of a meal to help absorption
- Continue taking it, even if you forget and skip one or more days